Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Book Angel

I safely arrived in Boston--spent the 4 hour flight reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was not one of the books I packed. While in the Denver AP bookstore, just glancing at a shelf of books, I was accosted by a complete stranger who said I had to read McCarthy's book. She said her bookstore owner claimed that it was the best book he had ever read. Not sure whether she was a store plant or a biblio-angel. I opted for the latter. As I sat down to read in the airplane, my neighbor across the aisle bent over and said he read the book three months ago and can't stoip thinking about it. The biblio-angels are out. I'm abt half way thru and they may be right. It's the story of a father's love for his son after some apocalypse... Here's one line: Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling thru the ash, each the other's entire world.

Or: It's snowing ... A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom.

Got to go---I'm halfway thru and I've got two hrs til the flight to Zurich. I want to finish the book before I leave here. I want to stop by the Hudson News booksellers here and try to raise up another book-angel. Some have the luck of the Irish; I've got the luck of the library.

Kris is in Newark or somewhere. Lord willing, we will meet in Israel on Wednesday afternoon. Hope I remember to chg planes in Zurich.

Enroute to the land of the book of books, jay
Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: