Saturday, May 12, 2007

Ein Gedi

Kris and I are seated by the Kibbutz pool overlooking the Dead Sea. A huge rainstorm threatens to chase us inside. But the storm is slow moving--apparently a flash flood closed the road just north of here. We passed that section within an hour of when it closed as we made our way to Masada. We both decided to climb to the top of Masada rather than ride the gandola. We understand now why the Romans forced slave labor to build a ramp to the top. The snake path up was brutal, though coming down hurt the legs and knees more. Kris kindly complained some to make this old man and his knees feel better. We celebrated our ascent and descent with a huge freshly squeezed orange juice--the best I've ever tasted.
This kibbutz is a hoot--botanical guarden built in the desert heat, a massive pool, overlooking the Dead Sea.
This morning we both enjoyed a long quiet time on the beach, watching the sun rise, casting its first rays on Tiberius across the sea. I read from jn 21 and could almost see Peter and boys fishing, while Jesus prepared bkfast on the beach. It was a tough bkfast talk for Peter as Jesus asks him over and over "do you love me?". I felt Jesus asking me the same thing, wondering if in my mature years I would let him lead me. Africa?
Since that conversation was tough, I decided to take some pictures of Kris reading his bible on the beach. I told him that I was part of the Christian paparazi, taking pictures of really spiritual guys. Oops they are closing the pool...more adventures later. Jay
Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: